Sunday, January 11, 2009

Exciting News


Well, it's exciting for me and my family. We have begun the process of building a new house. We will be doubling the square footage and adding a bedroom. the girls will all still be sharing a room, but we will have a separate playroom which will open up quite a bit of space in the room they will sleep in. I also get my CRAFT ROOM!! I've dreamed about having a separate area for my expensive little hobbies for a very long time. Lynn will get his office. We're all happy about that. As much as I love having a cluttered desk in the living room...

Anyway, we have just begun the process, but our new house will be here before we know it. We also have to sell the house we're living in before we can actually pay for the new one, but I'm sure it will happen with perfect timing. Getting the house ready to sell and thinking of a new one has kept me distracted from the fact that I am expecting a baby in less than a month. So, we have a lot going on. This is a particularly busy time, but it does make the end of the pregnancy go by more swiftly.

We had originally discussed building a house by ourselves. Lynn could do all of the building, and we could hire people to do parts he doesn't want to do. It would probably save us money, but it would also take years to accomplish--at least in my opinion, it would. This way is a lot easier and doesn't take away from the time we have as a family. So, we prayed and looked and priced and questioned and compared...and decided to go with Betenbough. The lot we are getting is on the bigger end of the price range spectrum as well as across from nothing. that nothing should someday become a park where our kids could play as we watch from our large front porch.

Last week we picked out all of our tile, counter tops, cabinets, brick, carpet, etc...Even though it took 3 hours, it was less painful than I expected. The fact that we can always change the things we don't like (aside from the brick)made the decisions a lot easier. Honestly, I think it took less thinking for each decision than it does sometimes for me to decide what to eat at a new restaurant. This week we will sign more papers (only the beginning of that, I'm sure) for them to begin the actual building. The house should be finished in April, around Easter.

I'm sure I will have a lot more to say about it. You may even be subjected to photos of the whole process. If you want to go look at a virtual tour of the model home, you can go to the betenbough website (www.betenbough.com) and look for the Jina home. The inside is the same floor plan, only flipped with the garage on the other side. The front porch is different on the house we will get, but it gives us a better view of the kids playing across the street.

No comments: