Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Yucky, Smelly, Horrible, No Good Hopsital Births

Well, I've been reprimanded for not updating anyone on this "hospital birth" thing. Not a big deal, really, so I kind of forgot. It's strange how different this pregnancy is emotionally. Not that I don't care, but when it's your 4th and so close to the previous birth, it's not the only thing I think about. You know how your first pregnancy is like the biggest deal and on your mind 24/7. Then with the second, you are excited, but you only check in once a week to see how big the baby is. The third becomes a fun thing to talk and think about, but it's really like old news. Because of that, I assume no one else really cares to hear about this 4th one. I'm not regularly updating anyone on how big the baby is or every time she kicks. I even gave up asking Lynn what he thought about names until I really liked one.
It is really nice to not already be "wishing this baby would just get out of my body!" It's actually so close to the last birth that I'm not too excited about the pain that I can still feel when I think about it.
All that said...letting everyone in on the birth plan seemed like a waste of the readers' time. Apparently I was wrong.
So, here's the latest. I loved the doctor (that I was pressured into seeing) so much that Lynn thought I should think about a hospital birth. I thought about it, and prayed about it. I was going back and forth. Then I had the privilege of sitting next to a very nice couple at Lynn's Christmas party Monday night who had recently birthed in the hospital I would be birthing in. I took that opportunity to ask some questions about how "involved" the nurses are in the whole process. And by involvement, I mean sticking their noses in my business and taking my baby away to do meaningless tests and coming in every 30 minutes to wake me up to check me when I am perfectly fine and just need rest!!
Now this couple is very sweet and was very helpful. They rang praises about the wonderful nurses who only took the baby away for an hour and a half and were very calm in an emergency situation (due to her induction and epidural which was suggested), and were very knowledgeable about everything.
I will not be having a hospital birth.
My baby and I will be much safer at home, and if for some reason, something does go wrong, I will have a doctor who knows me and expects me to birth in the hospital. I am almost certain he won't be hearing from me until after the baby is safely born at home...and I need a birth certificate.
OK, Mother, now I have updated you all! :-)

No comments: