Sunday, December 14, 2008

Lesson in Etiquette

I've mentioned before that people think they have the right to say anything and everything to a pregnant woman. I can forgive elderly men for some of their comments--like the one who told me today that "by February, I'll be as big as a barn." Lynn says I should have told him that by today, he is as dumb as a jack___. And Lynn probably would have actually said it!
I can even forgive close friends for the things they might say. I'm not really the sensitive type in my old age, and close friends know this . You can say just about anything, and I can take it. I was actually amazed at an acquaintance today, however. I know her in passing only. She is about my age with 3 boys of her own, all fairly young. She stopped and stared in disbelief as she said, "What have you been eating!?!"
Had I been your normal pregnant woman, I probably would have burst into tears. It's hard enough to walk out of the house and face the world when you feel so...awkwardly large. We don't really need someone announcing our size as if we've set out on a mission to be "as big as a barn". Of course, Lynn suggested that I say, "what have YOU been eating?" Instead I just looked at her with this shocked and yet ever so polite grin and said, "I know, I'm huge, right?"
Now for the lesson. Don't say anything to a pregnant woman about her size. Don't say she's smaller than the last time she was pregnant. Don't say she looks "pregnant today". I hear that one all the time. Don't ask when the baby's due and then act like someone has struck you with an idiot stick when she tells you an answer farther off than you expected. And PLEASE don't lean in and whisper in her ear how beautiful she is when your wife is 2 feet away wondering what you're saying. CREEPY!
Don't be surprised if you touch her belly and she randomly touches your butt. We're crazy like that! (but we have an excuse--hormones)
As a general rule, if you wouldn't say or do it to someone who's not pregnant, don't say or do it to someone who is.
If you do, you may find your comments on some hormonal pregnant woman's blog. It's been known to happen.

5 comments:

Starr said...

My favorite is when you tell someone you're pregnant and they say, "AGAIN? On purpose!!??!!" Jonathan always begged me to let him say, "Nope...I was just walking through the house and tripped and fell on top of her, and look what happened." People are weirdos.

jonathan said...

The whisper of "beautiful" could possibly be the most creepy thing I've ever heard of...I have creep-out chills just hearing it!

wm said...

"What have you been eating" - wow. I wouldn't say that unless I wore a helmet and lots of padding. Pregnant women can't run fast, but they can throw things.

georganne said...

I had to laugh when I read this. Obviously these well-meaning folks don't really know you... Those that do would never take such a risk!

Matthews said...

UGHHHHHH! Are you kidding me???!! I cannot believe someone would say that?!!! And I agree with JC...creepy chills. Ewwww.