Friday, July 18, 2008

Zoey's World

I have recently discovered the difficulty in emailing/blogging with Zoey at the cruising stage. She's into everything! If I hold her on my lap while I type, she ends up doing more typing than me. If I leave her on the floor while I type, she ends up in another county in a matter of minutes. That girl is fast! We have lots of little areas that are off-limits to little sticky fingers...like the trash area, big sister's room with lots of polly pocket accessories, and the dog cage with the lock that could put an eye out. The one I love most-the dog food and water dishes. Not as dangerous as it is messy. Mess and fun do go hand in hand, I've noticed.
I've also noticed the love/hate relationship she has with Max, our little retarded furry white dog. She loves to pull his hair. He hates that, oddly enough. He loves to play with her toys. I'm the one that hates that! The biggest problem is that to get away from her, he runs and hides by me. And if he's near me, and she is right on him, he won't move because he thinks I'm the safest spot. What ends up happening is she's crawling through my legs to get to him and he's growling and all I can do is shove him away, but then he comes right back to "safety". Ok, see where the retard part comes in? the funniest thing about this situation is that he has this dog bed that for some reason he thinks is his girlfriend. They've had some pretty intimate moments. wink, wink. anyway, just like everything else in her path, Zoey thinks it looks like something she needs to investigate. Max gets really defensive if you touch his bed! The older kids learned a long time ago not to mess with the bed if you want to keep your fingers. And Max learned that if he growls wrong at Zoey, he will soon feel the wrath of Dad's alpha male hand. Do you see his dilemma? What ends up happening is quite funny to watch. He crawls from the safety of my feet to the opposite edge of his bed and gingerly pulls it away from those mean little chubby fingers.
"no, baby, not the bed."
I digress...
So, the blogs may be few and far between. I could communicate with the outside world while she sleeps, but trust me, those moments are way too precious to spend at the computer. Here's a quick update on her most recent communication skills.
Zoey can now high five on command. She can sign the word "more" when wanting to eat more food. And my personal favorite--she can give big, sloppy, open-mouthed kisses to those she adores!
She is also trying very hard to push through her 2 top front teeth. It kept us all up the night before last, and has given her quite a lot of pain and suffering. We just use lots of teething rings, love and what I call "baby morphine". (homeopathic teething tablets) This too shall pass.

I haven't heard from the kids in a few days. It's amazing how much easier one child is compared to 3. Can't wait to see what 4 will be like. But I do miss Bryce and Evyn. Every time they called last week, they sounded like they were having fun. Hopefully, they'll call again soon.
It's been a strange summer so far...maybe I'll write again before it's over. ;-)

No comments: